Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cruft's is over..

..And I wasn't even there! Still irritated.. As I said, watched the International Junior Handling finals online where my lovely friends represented so good!

 

The IJH-final has about 40 competitors every year all from different countries. Each country decides their own way how to choose their representative. This year the judge was Mr. Espen Engh from Norway who's known for his successful greyhounds. I think he did a great job judging these juniors. He asked just normal things to do, like a triangle and up-and-down.

Cruft's has it's beauty there. There are two rounds, first with your "own" dog (the one you've asked for, you get the dog's just one hour before the competition.) and the second one with a swapdog. This is what I personally appreciate. You get two dogs you've never met before, and you have to create a cooperation in a short time. That's what measures the skills. It's not easy, and there you separate the sheep from the goats.


2nd place went to Pernilla Lindström from Sweden!
© Theodóra Róbertsdottir

My opinion of this year's handlers was a bit weak. I don't know what it is, but many of them had a lack of basic skills. Things like: take a nice distance from the judge when stacking, nicely collect the leash in your fist in every occasion so it doesn't disturb, the WAY YOU RUN; this was especially horrible in some handlers, if I'm honest. These are stuff that you shouldn't have to think about in the ring, they should come naturally. And yes, if you don't have control over them, it is disturbing and affects the whole overall impression.

The happiness is amazing, IJH winner 2012, Raquel Colaço
representing Portugal also with a german pointer

Some of the handlers were very nervous, which is of course understandable, but if you want to do a great performance, you have to keep your nerves together! With the swapdog.. what can I say. There are not many that manages to make a contact with a dog they've got 5 minutes ago. And that if something, is a shame.

Sure there were some pearls in the sea. The ones that did a beautiful, natural and calm performance. Showed their dog to it's absolutely best and shone with self-confidence and happiness. The judge seemed to like it that way too. The shortlisted one's were (if I remember correctly, excuse me if I'm wrong!) the USA, Australia, Czech republic, Slovakia, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, New Zealand, Monaco and a country that was represented by a guy, can't remember which. Sadly our Finnish representative Susanna Gourine didn't get to the top-10, but she can be proud of herself, because she did a faultless performance very professionally with her tibetan terrier.

Last year's winner, Paulina Lisiak with a german pointer

The top-3 then was: 3rd place to Monaco represented by Aleksandra Szydłowska with an english springer spaniel. Aleksandra has won Cruft's once before with the same breed, so this wasn't anything new for this experienced handler. 2nd place went to the Swedish handler Pernilla Lindström who showed her australian shepherd extremely calmly and beautifully. Sweden hasn't got that much success in Cruft's IJH, so way to go representing Sweden! And the highest award, 1st place went to the always with a big smile showing her dogs,  Raquel Colaço from Portugal! She competed with a german pointer, like the last year's winner. She was natural with a calm touch to her dog and a very professional way to handle. Above all that, the happiness shone trough her all the time! She's also been placed several times in international junior handling competitions. I could say, I had pretty much the same opinions about top-10 and so on with the judge. A nice IJH in Cruft's this year! My warmest congratulations to the three placed!

If you want to watch these cheerful moments, here is the video from the finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6X_pWiijug&feature=related

The whole competition can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45RicPsavI&feature=related

Ninja 22 months old pictured some days ago
Ninja 22 months old pictured some days ago 

This weekend I will participate in the Finnish Kennelclub's breeder's course. I got the pre-material in the mail, and hahah, I have 150 pages to read about dogbreeding.. just a little light night-reading to do.. :p There will be a test in the end of this course, thumbs up so I'll pass it! If and when I pass it, I can apply for a breeding-name when I turn 18. That I'll do and then I can think of puppy plans.. exciting! :)



♥ Hilde ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment