Sunday, January 22, 2012

Turku INT show

Hey guys!


Now the first show of the year is over. I was there only on the first day, which was a shame, but no can do! In the morning I woke up at 5.30, because my ride left 6.45 from a 40 minute long trip away. It was definitely hard to wake up after a 4 hour sleep, but what wouldn't you do for a dogshow?

When we (I and the owner of the english pointer) got to the mess center we walked to the vaccination control. Why do they always ask me where the dog is when I show the junior handling-number tag (what is it called in English..?). Can't someone brief them to know, that there are almost 100 juniors coming in from the door with that same tag, and they don't need to have a dog! This happens in almost every show.. A little thing, but still :D

junior handling with borzoi Zowie
© Linda H

Well, we headed for the english pointer ring, which was next to the junior handling ring. I didn't move from that spot on almost the whole day! The pointers started at 10.30 and there was only 3 entered. Here in Finland there aren't many pointers, not as there are abroad, especially in Central-Europe. Anyway, one of them wasn't there so we were down to two participants.

The pointer I was showing, Golden Jump Point To Daniel "Dani" is a lovely 19 months old boy, who's lovely for the breed and has a couple of CACs already. I was at a "match show" (an unofficial show) when I saw this pointer. My long-lasting dream had been, to show an english pointer, but as I said, there are so few in Finland that it wasn't easy. I went to talk to the owner and told that I've always wanted to try a pointer, and so I trained with Dani a few moments. His owner told me, I could show him in the ring also. That I did, he was only 11 months old back then, and not that showtrained.


showing english pointer Dani
© Katriina M

Now I've shown him a couple of times, and still we're practicing for the perfect "show-performance". He's getting better and better every time I train with him!

Here in Turku INT show the judge was Chris Bexon from Great Britain. We went to the ring, the judge asked to move back and forward, triangle and one round around the ring. Then I stacked him. He's a little inpatient with the whole standing thing, so I had to stack him again pretty many times :D He always finds a target to stare at outside the ring, just not the in the right direction! The judge looked many times in his mouth and I started to think what it was.. He said "What a shame" the third time he looked at the teeth.

Dani got VG and the judge told me "It's really a shame that his teeth are slightly wry, he's a beautiful english pointer but because of the teeth, I have to give a lower price. Keep up the good work!". He was a very nice judge, I think. Maybe a little harsh on the price, he could've given an EXC without CQ, I think. We did know about his teeth, but not a single judge has said about them before. Well, at least he did know something, the judge! The critique was very nice:

"Really nice young male. Built of flowing lines. Really balanced head. Nice occibut. Good work around the eyes, clean cheek. Good length of neck. Pleasing shoulders. Nice depth of chest. Short, strong loin. Clean oval bone, straight forelegs. Excellent mover. Very disappointed to find that he has slightly wry bite."

Disappointing yes, but I'm proud of Dani that he's improving the performing every time.

I almost showed an irish wolfhound, but junior handling went on the same time, so I had to unfortunately say I couldn't :(
junior handling with borzoi Zowie
© Katriina M

Then the junior handling started.. 64 juniors stepped into the ring. The younger group had been judged, the winner was Karelin Kajander, a cute little boy with his whippet. The judge was Åge Gjentjes from Norway. We were divided in 5 groups, I couldn't make it to the first, where I should have been, because my junior handling-dog was in the breed ring at the time. I went with the last group, showing the lovely borzoi "Zowie", owned by Helena Håkansson from Sweden, who trusted her girl in my hands. Thanks! I'd never shown a borzoi before. Zowie's whole name is Japejukan Krasivaja Kira "Zowie". The judge wanted us to move in a group around the ring, then he took a quick look at the dogs' expression. I was first in the line, so I was first in turn. The judge didn't give much time to stack the dog, so I wasn't ready when he came to judge, but I don't think he minded. He asked how old my dog was and asked for a up-and-down. I did that, Zowie ran beautifully, and then I showed quickly the expression of Zowie towards the judge. He asked to make a round around the ring and to get at the end of the line. Our performance went really good, Zowie was really calm (what can you expect of a borzoi..:D). We were 10 in every group, so when everyone was judged, the judge wanted us to move once around the ring in two groups. After that he shortlisted 3 juniors and said thanks to the rest. I was glad when he pointed at me that he picked me!

Change-dog, coton de tulear Jerry
© Vilma H
As I was in the last group, everyone who had been shortlisted came back to the ring. We were around 20 juniors, and the judge asked us again to move around the ring. Zowie got much energy of the siberian husky in front of us and ran beautifully with long leash in the front of me. The judge made a cut down to 10 juniors, I was still there!

Change-dog, coton de tulear Jerry!
© Hanna J
Now he wanted to change dogs, I got a lovely cotton de tulear named Jerry. We all stacked our exchange-dogs and the judge went down the line asking some questions of the dogs. He asked what the breed was I was handling and what the breed is used for. I answered that it was a cotton de tulear and that they're company dogs. Then he wanted us to move up-and-down and the around to the end of the line. After that, we changed back our dogs and he said thanks to five more.

junior handling with borzoi Zowie
© Linda H
We were down to 5 and moved one last time around the ring. He called me to the 5th place! I was really, really happy! A 5th place out of 64 junior handlers is an incredible achievement! Zowie did a good work, but she was really tired after the breed ring plus junior handling. 4th place went to Tilda Rinne with a siberian husky, 3rd place to Janette Lehto with her samoyed. The two last moved around the ring and the winner was announced, it was Sofia Snellman with her cotton de tulear! (the one I got as an exchange-dog). The 2nd place went to Kashira Kajander with a pug.

This was a qualification competition for the Finnish Championship final. In the afternoon there was held BIS-Junior handler, and the winner of the older group won it, which means she won the place for the Finnish Championship, congrats! :)

junior handling with borzoi Zowie
© Linda H

After the competition we took some pics of Dani and me and Zowie, thanks Katriina Mäenpää!

It was a funny Saturday, with my lovely friends, and unfortunately I have to wait for the next show till April.. blaah! It will be Lappeenranta NAT show, and Ninja and I will be there :) A long time waiting..

..ps. we got the tickets! so here we come Croatia!!

See ya!

♥ Hilde ♥

1 comment:

  1. Ihana blogi, mainio ulkoasu ja tekee kielitaidolle hyvää lukea välillä englanniksi. Paljon tsemppiä tuleviin koitoksiin!

    http://moonscapesvelvetkiss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete